Aloo chana chaat is a versatile, easy-peasy snack recipe one can assemble in just 5 minutes. It is a delicious, finger-licking, healthy, power-packed flavourful appetiser with eye-catching, vibrant colours. Enjoy this aloo chana chaat with yogurt as a perfect light meal, a quick snack during the day, or for a party!
Aloo chana chaat is a popular Indian/Pakistani street food known for its flavour and attractive texture. It is a savoury, tangy, mildly sweet, flavorful dish prepared with boiled potatoes (aloo), chickpeas (chana), and various spices and chutneys.
In this easy chaat recipe, a base for chaat is prepared and assembled by adding toppings of your choice just before serving! The best part of the recipe is that you can store the chaat base for a long time and use it whenever you want! Isn’t it cool?
The base for this chole chaat includes boiled potatoes and chickpeas seasoned with spices and herbs to make it flavourful. Finally, before serving, drizzle yogurt and top up with snack items like papdi, chutney, sev, etc.
These snack items add depth, texture, and crunch to the chaat. Thus, it is not wrong to say that the chaat is a delightful combination of tastes, textures, and aromas. It is the most loved street snack. No matter what, if you did not try this street-side snack, you are not a street food admirer from the heart, and I feel you have missed a lip-smacking experience!!
I believe that chana aloo chaat is a dish that brings people together as it connects them to their beloved roadside food snack experience. So, grab all the ingredients, make this street-style chaat recipe for your friends, kids, and loved ones, and create beautiful memories to cherish!
Although not long ago I prepared this aloo papdi chaat, still for no reason, I am dreaming of snack-a-licious bread rolls, air-fried potato carro,t and a cup of tea flavoured with chai masala in my hand while I am writing this recipe.
Reasons to🧡aloo chana chaat
- The big plus point of this recipe is the chaat base, which you can store for a long time and assemble whenever you want to fuel your snack cravings!
- It is a healthy, low-calorie snack recipe; you can go several times without worrying about calorie intake.
- Fail-proof recipe!
- It aids in digestion as it contains ingredients that are carminative.
- No tomato chana chaat recipe as nowadays tomatoes are skyrocketing, definitely pocket-friendly!!
- It is not only delicious but also nutritious. It is rich in proteins from chickpeas and provides essential carbohydrates from potatoes.
- Easy to adapt the ingredients to suit individual preferences.
- It is a convenient and perfect make-ahead option for parties, gatherings, or picnics, as you can prepare it in advance and refrigerate it.
- Refreshing and light on the tummy- ideal for light dinner meals.
- It is a win-win deal. It involves minimal effort and a crowd-pleaser snack.
- Assembling ingredients can be an enjoyable activity for kids/guests for a social gathering.
To make this aloo chana chaat, you need these:
- Aloo (potatoes)- Boiled, peeled, and diced into bite-sized pieces.
- Chana (chickpeas)- Soaked chickpeas in water overnight and then boiled in salted water. Strained before use.
- Dahi (Yogurt)- Use whatever you like. Use either full-fat whole milk or skimmed milk yogurt.
- The purpose is to make this chole channa chaat a little flowy to coat all the ingredients well in the spices.
- Onion and green chillies - Optional. Use onions as minimally as possible to avoid empowering the other ingredients.
- Pomegranate -Use seeds for garnish and taste.
- Spices- Salt, black salt, cumin powder and chaat masala.
- All these ingredients enhance the taste and flavour of the chaat.
- Lemon juice - Squeeze fresh lemon if available; otherwise, go for a store-bought one.
- Tamarind chutney/sauce- It gives this chaat a unique sweet and tangy taste.
- Chaat papdi /Dahi papdi- Papdi is deep-fried all-purpose flour crackers.
- It is the heart of the recipe. Don’t skip this.
- Papdi is the important element of the chaat that makes the chaat super delicious with the crispiness of each bite.
- Sev- These are crispy fried gram flour snacks.
- Any sev goes well with the recipe.
- It adds crunch as well as texture to the chaat. Another must-required ingredient for the street-like chaat recipe.
- Add them in the end just before serving.
- Cilantro and mint leaves for a refreshing flavour.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- You can easily get all these ingredients from the Indian grocery or Asian aisle of any big supermarket if you reside outside India.
- You can use any brand of chat masala powder.
How to make aloo chana chaat?
To make chana aloo chaat step by step, check out the video below.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel to stay up-to-date on all my new videos.
It is one of the easiest appetizer recipes that come out in 5 minutes if you have all the ingredients handy.
Step-1 Preparing a base
- Boil potatoes and white chickpeas separately. Let them cool before making this aloo and chana chaat.
- Next, prepare a seasoned base of boiled potatoes and chickpeas:
- Add chickpeas, potatoes, chillies, cilantro, mint, salt, black salt, cumin, and lemon juice into a large bowl.
- Toss well to combine (image below).
- Spread this aloo and chana seasoned mixture on a serving plate or platter.
- Add crushed papdi and drizzle yogurt over it.
- Top up with onions, cilantro leaves, and tamarind chutney.
- Garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds and sev.
- Serve this yummy dahi aloo chana chaat immediately after you prepare it.
- Experiment with flavours like green chutney, olive-avocado chutney, and spicy Sechzwan.
- Dizzle all-purpose yogurt, herb-infused Haydari meze, and cucumber raita for a rich creamy dreamy experience.
- Think about adding other healthy additions like croutons, paneer cubes, chicken, veggies, etc.
- If you don’t have papri and sev, you can use chips/wafers or tortillas. Crush them before adding.
- You can also use chickpea tin if you wish not to cook them. Just rinse and drain them.
- Storing aloo chana papdi chaat for a long time is not recommended once you assemble all the ingredients.
- Serving the chole chaat immediately after preparation is the best way to avoid it being soggy.
- If you want to make it ahead of time, prepare the chaat base and store it in the refrigerator. Top up with the rest of the ingredients just before serving!
There is no fixed rule for the proportions of aloo (potato) and chana (chickpea) in the chaat recipe. Either add them in equal proportions or based on your preferences. Usually, I like chickpeas more to be quantity in the chaat because of their more health benefits.
This chana chaat prepared with potato and chickpeas contains only 169 kcal per serving. It is the perfect healthy snack choice, so you can have it guilt-free without compromising taste and flavour. taste and flavour.
This aloo chana chaat is always served cold appetiser. It tastes delicious because of the crunch and crispiness of the snacky items served on top of the chaat which is not possible if served hot.
- There is no particular order for the ingredients to add. Be creative and use your imagination to make this aloo chana chaat of your choice.
- Choose potatoes with a high starch content, like russet potatoes, for this aloo chana chaat preparation.
- Boil potatoes in salted water to infuse salt inside them.
- Avoid potatoes being mushy while cooking, as you need to dice them for the chana chaat.
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight and boil them. Try to use dried chickpeas instead of canned ones for the best texture and flavour.
- I have not added green chutney as I added all the chutney ingredients to the chaat.
- Add all the snack items in the last to avoid being soggy.
- If you have any leftover potatoes/ chickpeas, use them to make this easy dahi chaat recipe.
Are you a fan of street food or crave a tangy and spicy snack, aloo chana chaat is the perfect treat for you! If you try this aloo chana chaat recipe, please share your views and let me know your opinion! You can also leave a comment or share a picture on Instagram with the Hashtag #tipsnrecipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Do you know that you can now rate this recipe without leaving a comment?
Aloo Chana Chaat
Aloo chana Chaat base
- 11/2 cups Chana (chickpeas)- 300 g
- 1 cup Aloo (potato)-180g
- 2 Green chilles
- Few Cilantro
- Few Mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black salt
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
Toppings per serving
- 3-4 Papdi
- 2 tablespoon Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind chutney/sauce
- Few Sev
- Few Pomegranate seeds
- Boil the chickpeas and potato.
- Drain them. Let them cool down.
- Peel of potato and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine chickpeas, potato, and all other base ingredients. Mix well
- Spread the chaat base on a plate.
- Drizzle yogurt. Add chaat papdi, onions, tamarind chutney, cilantro, sev, and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve this chana aloo chaat immediately!
- You can now vote on your favourite recipes by clicking on the stars.
- Adjust the seasoning as per your taste.
- There is no particular order for chaat ingredients.
- Check tips for additional information on the aloo chaat recipe!
- Nutrition Disclaimer- Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will tipsnrecipesblog.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.
- Copyright Notice © tipsnrecipesblog.com- All content, including images, is copyright protected. I appreciate it if you could share these recipes via the social share buttons. Copying/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website is strictly prohibited.
Remove this block, and replace it with the recipe card here