Jump to Recipe
Do not have an electric mixer! No worries, this post will tell you how to make whipped cream by hand using a whisk just in 5-7 minutes.
A homemade whipped cream is nowhere close to the storebought in terms of freshness and taste. If you are a true gourmand and also have time, why not make your own whipped cream. A homemade whipped cream is 100 % pure, and also you have control over the sweetness.
It is a general perception to whip cream by hand is a bit harder. But it's easier than you might think. Even I was a little sceptical before trying this.
It took me only 5 minutes to whip the cream, and I was ready with fresh, light and fluffy cream. I think I got hooked on homemade whipped cream. I am going to make it at home each time I plan to top cakes or pies.
So, here I share how to make whipped cream by hand using a whisk at home.
For making whipped cream by hand, you need the following items:
Cream: ½ cup - Thickened (heavy) cream. Use a cream that contains at least 30 % of fat content. In Australia, heavy cream is commonly known as thickened cream.
Essence: 1 tablespoon (optional) vanilla essence. Adding this will lead to a huge difference. Just check the difference and decide!
Sugar: 1 teaspoon- I highly recommend using powdered sugar as it dissolves easily into the cream.
How to make whipped cream by hand?
Watch the video to learn how to make whipped cream by hand just in a few minutes:
The first tip to make perfect whipped cream by hand is to chill everything.
Keep the temperature low as it helps to incorporate air into the cream for a longer time and results in stabilized foam. Moreover, whipping the cream at room temperature makes it warmer and may end up in butter.
So I highly recommend chilling your bowl, whisk and cream before you plan to make whipped cream by hand whisk. For this, you can place your bowl and whisk for at least 20-30 minutes in the freezer.
To maintain the low temperature, I kept the chilled bowl on the ice cube tray. Next, pour chilled cream, vanilla and sugar into the chilled bowl and slowly whisk. (pics below)
Once the cream starts to thicken up and stop when you get sturdy peaks that slightly droop down yet still hold their shape.
And there you have it: fresh whipped cream by hand whisk.
- Fresh whipped cream is best served immediately.
- Store the leftover in the fridge.
- Use within 24 hours as after that it starts losing its shape.
How to make whipped cream long-lasting?
To make a whipped cream long-lasting so that it can hold a perfect shape, you need a stabilizer. Following are the few options to be used as a stabilizer:
- dry milk powder
- gelatin jelly
- cream of tartar
- pudding mix
Generally, stabilizers are added while whipping the cream.
- I strongly recommend using heavy cream as it holds the shape for a longer time than whipping cream.
- Do not keep the whipping cream at room temperature. Refrigerate as soon as you prepare it, if not served immediately. The best way is to refrigerate the whipped cream in a piping bag.
- Remember that ½ cup of heavy whipping cream will double to 1 cup of whipped cream.
- This whipped cream will not last more than 24 hours. To make it long-lasting, add a stabilizer while adding sugar to it.
- And yes! The most important one; is not to forget to chill your bowl, whisk and cream.
........BEFORE YOU GO..........
I would love to know your thoughts about this post!
Do you have your unique recipe? If you want to share with me, please leave a comment or share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #tipsnrecipes!
You can also Subscribe to our mailing list
You can make these new recipes:
How to make whipped cream by hand?
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tspn Vanilla
- ½ tspn Sugar
- Chill the cream, whisk and bowl by placing it in the fridge for about 20-30 mins before you plan to make whipped cream.
- Whisk the cream slowly, add vanilla, sugar and whisk again.
- Whisk till getting the stiff peaks.
- Refrigerate it to serve later if not used immediately.