Do not have an electric mixer! No worries, this easy-to-follow post will let you know how to make whipped cream by hand using a whisk just in 8-10 minutes.
If you are making your own whipped cream like me, check these cream recipes where you can use cream!!
Homemade whipped cream is nowhere closer to store-bought in terms of freshness and taste. Homemade whipped cream is 100 % pure, and also you have control over the sweetness. If you are a true gourmand and also have time, why not make your own whipped cream.
It is a general perception to whip cream by hand is a bit harder. In fact, it's easier than you might think. Even though I was a little sceptical before trying this technique, now I prefer making it at home like this only.
It takes only 8-10 minutes to whip the cream, and you are ready with fresh, light and fluffy cream. I think I got hooked on homemade whipped cream as I make it at home each time I plan to top cakes or pies.
So, without wasting much time, here I share my tips and tricks on how to make whipped cream by hand using a whisk at home.
For making whipped cream by hand, you need the following items:
Cream: ½ cup - Thickened (heavy) cream. Use a cream that contains at least 30% of fat content. In Australia, heavy cream is commonly known as thickened cream.
Essence: 1 tablespoon (optional) vanilla essence. If you have pure vanilla, go for it, as it's like the icing on the cake! Although the flavour is optional, the presence of this makes a huge difference in the recipe. Just try! Check the difference and decide for yourself!
Sugar: 1 teaspoon- I highly recommend on use of powdered sugar as it dissolves easily into the cream.
Important Things to Consider
- The foremost important point to take care of while whipping thickened cream is its fat content. Ideally, the cream should have a fat content of greater than 30%. The lesser the fat content, the harder the cream to whip as it does not have enough fat content to trap the air.
- The other important tip to make perfect whipped cream by hand is to chill everything (whisker, cream and bowl) for mainly two reasons:
- It keeps the temperature low, which helps incorporate air into the cream for a longer time and results in stabilized foam.
- It prevents the churning of cream into butter as whipping it at room temperature makes it a little warmer and may end up in butter.
Keep the temperature low as far as possible to make perfect whipped cream.
How to make whipped cream by hand?
Watch the video to learn how to make whipped cream by hand just in a few minutes:
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel to stay up to date on all my new videos!
I start the whole process of whipping thickened cream by chilling a bowl, cream and whisk. I keep the bowl and whisker in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes.
Next, to maintain the low temperature further, I keep the chilled bowl on the ice cube tray. An easy hack that helped me a lot. Try this!
Once all is set. Combine chilled cream, vanilla and sugar in the chilled bowl and slowly whisk. (pics below)
Image-1 Add chilled thickened cream into a chilled bowl and whisk with a chilled whisker.
Image-2 Add vanilla essence.
Image-3 Add powdered sugar.
Image-4 Whisk until you get stiff peaks.
Once the cream starts to thicken up, and you get sturdy peaks that slightly droop down yet still hold their shape, it is the perfect time to stop whisking.
And you are ready with fresh whipped cream you whipped by hand whisk.
So easy! Right?
- Fresh whipped cream is best served immediately.
- Use whipped cream within 24 hours as after that it starts losing its shape.(if not refrigerated)
- Store the leftover in the freezer.
How to make whipped cream long-lasting?
To make a whipped cream long-lasting so that it can hold a perfect shape, you need a stabilizer. Following are the few options to be used as a stabilizer:
- dry milk powder
- gelatin jelly
- cream of tartar
- pudding mix
Generally, stabilizers are added while whipping the cream.
Tips N Suggestions
- I strongly recommend using heavy cream as it holds the shape for a longer time than whipping cream.
- The cream you use should have at least 30% of fat content.
- The thickened cream should be chilled not frozen.
- Do not keep the whipping cream at room temperature. Refrigerate as soon as you prepare it, if not served immediately. The best way is to refrigerate the whipped cream in a piping bag.
- Remember that ½ cup of heavy whipping cream will double to 1 cup of whipped cream.
- This whipped cream will not last more than 24 hours. To make it long-lasting, add a stabilizer while combing other ingredients.
- And yes! The most important one; is not to forget to chill your bowl, whisk and cream
....BEFORE YOU GO..........
I would love to know your thoughts about this post!
Do you have your unique recipe? If you want to share with me, please leave a comment or share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #tipsnrecipes!
You can also Subscribe to our mailing list
You can make these new recipes:
How to make whipped cream by hand?
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tspn Vanilla
- ½ tspn Sugar
- Chill the cream, whisk and bowl by placing it in the fridge for about 20-30 mins before you plan to make whipped cream.
- Whisk the cream slowly, add vanilla, sugar and whisk again.
- Whisk till getting the stiff peaks.
- Refrigerate it to serve later if not used immediately.