This green vegetable soup diet is packed with powerful nutritious veggies like bottle gourd (calabash), green onions, coriander, and mint for a wholesome, super-healthy, light-on-tummy meal. A perfect healthy green vegetable soup recipe or green soup that helps stimulate and promote weight loss!
What is green soup?
Green soup is a super healthy soup prepared with fresh greens (calabash, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels, spinach, kale etc.,) and green in colour and hence green soup also, known as leafy green soup.
Green leafy vegetables are rich in iron, vitamins and a powerhouse of antioxidants that protect your body against free radical damage. As a bonus, these greens are high in fibre, low-calories and carbohydrates making them an ideal choice for the green soup diet to lose belly fat. Hence, I can say that this green vegetable soup recipe is the best soup to lose weight quickly.
How green vegetable soup diet help in weight loss?
This bottle gourd/calabash/lauki soup recipe is a super healthy plant-based green soup recipe that nourishes your body by adding tons of nutrients. It can be prepared with any greens like kale, spinach, zucchini, celery etc. This leafy vegetables soup, aka, lauki soup is beneficial for losing weight for the following reasons:
- The green-coloured dudhi soup is light in nature. The healthy green veggies present in the soup aid the digestion process as this helps flush the toxins away and keep your body in shape.
- The fibre and water content in the soup will help you fill and satisfy for a longer time. Therefore, no curbs or cravings, and hence less demand for snacks or desserts.
- This soup is low in calories and carbohydrates. No need to think twice if you want to go more!
This is undoubtedly an amazing bottle gourd soup for quick weight loss. If you are trying to burn belly fat, this ghiya soup should definitely be a part of your daily diet.
About quick weight-loss green soup
This calabash soup recipe consists of healthy green veggies that are light on the stomach and a little watery, free from dairy products. The presence of mint leaves, lemon and cumin in this lemon coriander soup enhances the flavour and aroma of the soup. A regular intake of this doodhi soup will surely accelerate the weight loss process and help in shedding stubborn belly fat if you consume it without adding heavy toppings.
This lauki for weight loss green soup has the following benefits:
- Low caloric value
Caloric value refers to the heat evolved by food when burnt or metabolized. This green soup recipe is a healthy low-calorie soup as it has only 30 kcal per serving; you don't need to limit your consumption.
- Low glycemic index
This soup consisting of spring onions and ghiya (calabash) has a low glycemic index. The glycemic index of bottle gourd is 15. It means after consuming this soup, there is a low and slow rise in blood glucose in your body. Hence, it prevents an instant increase in blood sugar and prevents hunger, carbohydrate cravings, and weakness that arises after a sudden glucose dip from a high GI diet.
- Rich in fibre content
All the greens used in the soup like spring onions, bottle gourd(calabash), coriander (cilantro), and mint are abundant in fibre, which helps you feel full for a longer time, thus craving junk.
- Improves digestion
Dietary fibres present in the greens act as a natural laxative that helps in constipation and aids digestion.
Remember, consuming this soup should not be the only strategy to lose the extra pounds.
For the best results, combine it with a balanced diet and make small changes in your lifestyle like regular exercise, no smoking/drinking, avoiding overeating etc.
To prepare leafy green vegetable soup or calabash soup to lose belly fat, you require these ingredients:
- Bottle gourd/calabash/lauki or dudhi: - The healthiest vegetable, high in water and fibre content. Moreover, its low glycemic index and caloric value make it the perfect option to include in weight loss recipes.
- Green onion/ Scallions: - Add a punch of flavour and full of fibre and antioxidants.
- Mint leaves few - This fresh herb provides coolness, hydrates and refreshment.
- Coriander/cilantro: bunch- provides a good source of vitamins and dietary fibre.
- Cumin seeds:- I highly recommend adding cumin seeds in any meal as these are carminative (relieves from flatulence) and thereby improves digestion.
- Salt: to taste- Use black salt if possible. It enhances the flavour of the green soup and will take it to the next level.
- Oil: tablespoon - Any vegetable oil for tempering.
- Lemon juice: It is rich in vitamin C, a great addition to weight loss.
See the recipe card for quantities
How to make green leafy vegetable soup?
To make green soup step by step, check out the video below.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel to stay up-to-date on all my new videos.
To make this easy green soup with green leafy vegetables, follow the steps:
Step -1 Tempering
- Add cumin seeds to medium-hot oil in a pan and wait until brown. It is known as tempering and a great way to release the flavour of any spice.
- This way, cumin captures its essence and aroma in oil and makes the soup tastier. I strongly recommend using cumin seeds.
Step - 2 Sauté Greens
- Once the cumin seeds turn brown, sauté greens by adding them one by one, starting with green onions, bottle gourd, and coriander.
- Keep the heat low to medium. (pics below)
Step - 3 Boil Greens
- Add 3 cups of water to the greens. Cover with a lid and boil it for about 8-10 minutes.
- Simmer it for the next 2 minutes. Let it cool for some time.
Step - 4 Blend the greens
- Transfer the cooled boiled greens to a blending jar. To this, add a few mint leaves, lemon juice and salt. Blend to a puree.
- If you like thick consistency, strain the veggies and make a puree of greens only. Adjust the consistency by using prepared stock.
Step - 4 Reheat & serve
- Reheat the prepared soup on high heat and serve warm. Adjust the consistency as per your taste.
- Top up with some nuts, seeds, edible salad flowers chopped coriander etc.
- And Here you go with the super delicious green soup with green leafy vegetables.
- All the ingredients used in this soup give the soup a bright, lively colour and a flavour that cools, hydrates, and refreshes your body.
- The best time to have soup is before any meal as it makes you full and stops you from consuming a lot of calories!
Yes, soup is good for losing belly fat, but it should always be accompanied by moderate body exercises like yoga, gardening, swimming, brisk walking, cycling, etc., to get its impact on the weight. It also depends upon the soup that helps and promotes weight loss. For example, if you eat weight-loss soup daily rich in calories, sodium, sugar, etc., following that soup diet will not provide the desired results. This green soup prepared with green leafy vegetables is watery, low in calories, and high in fibre, keeps you full for a longer time and hence reduces the craving for junk. It is a perfect weight-loss green soup.
Yes! You can, as long as the toppings are healthy, low-calorie and fat-free, air-fried veggies, zucchini slices, pomegranate arils, roasted seeds, roasted nuts, cherry tomatoes, fresh fruits, a dash of pepper, chaat masala. The exact purpose of this green soup is to help in weight loss. So, fat-burner buddies, avoid heavy toppings like cream, butter, croutons, cheese, etc., if you want a positive outcome of the soup.
- Wash the green leafy vegetables thoroughly before preparing this green soup.
- This soup is watery. Adjust the consistency as per your liking.
- To bring out the sweetness and flavour of the greens, saute them on low to medium heat.
- Try variations with spinach, cucumber, and zucchini to add a bit more depth to the flavours.
- Think of replacing green onions - pungent relatives include onions, leeks, shallots, and chives.
- Don't strain after blending as this will lead to loss of nutrients.
- This green soup recipe is for weight loss; so please stay away from heavy toppings!!
You can also Subscribe to my mailing list.
I would love to know your thoughts about this yummy, easy coriander and lemon weight-loss green soup recipe! So tell me, have you ever made green soup? Do you have a favourite weight-loss soup recipe you want to share with me? Please leave a comment or share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #tipsnrecipes.
Do you know that you can now rate this recipe without leaving a comment?
Green Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Blender/ Mixer
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Scallions/green onions
- 1 bunch Coriander/cilantro
- 1 Bottle gourd/calabash
- 1 teaspoon Black salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 3 cup Water
- Roughly chop green onions and bottle gourd (calabash) after thoroughly washing all the greens.
- To a medium hot pan, add oil and roast cumin seeds.
- Add spring onions, and saute on low heat. Repeat this with calabash (lauki).
- Next, add coriander and saute for a minute on low heat. Pour water, cover with a lid and cook for 5-8 mins on high heat. Simmer it for 2-3 mins on low heat.
- Let it cool. Add mint leaves, salt and lemon juice and blend it to a puree. Adjust it according to your taste.
- Reheat it in the same pan and serve warm. Here you go with yummy, healthy green soup prepared with green leafy vegetables.
- You can now vote on your favourite recipes by clicking on the stars.
- Adjust the seasoning as per your taste.
- Check tips for additional information on this green leafy vegetable soup!
- Nutrition Disclaimer- Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will tipsnrecipesblog.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.
- Copyright Notice © tipsnrecipesblog.com- All content, including images, is copyright protected. I appreciate it if you could share these recipes via the social share buttons. Copying/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website is strictly prohibited.
- Malteser Rocky Road
- Puff Pastry Jam Tarts
- Halloween Monster Treats
- Cucumber Beetroot Salad
- How to heat frozen paratha?