Try this delicious ghee bhuna chicken masala recipe if you love chicken recipes. I bet you would love it for its mesmerizing flavour. This low-spice boneless roasted chicken masala gets ready quickly without any marination and roasting of spices using fenugreek and black pepper.
A classic, super satisfying dish that everyone can enjoy without hurting their taste buds!!
About the recipe
Ghee bhuna chicken masala is a rich, versatile, and delicious chicken cooked in ghee on low heat. Bhuna means to roast, and ghee refers to clarified butter. Ghee has a nutty, buttery flavour that makes any dish rich and delicious.
Generally, bhuna chicken masala is prepared by marinating chicken in dry roasted spices and then cooking on low heat to impart flavour and aroma to the chicken. But this recipe is a modification of the famous spicy masala chicken bhuna as I have used dried fenugreek leaves and pepper instead of spices to impart their flavour to the chicken.
The recipe is prepared by roasting the chicken in clarified butter(ghee) using onions, ginger, yogurt, black pepper, and dried fenugreek leaves (Kasoori methi) without marination. The chicken turns out so juicy, tender and yummy that no one would realize the absence of spices used to make bhuna chicken masala.
If you are like me and do not prefer bold spices, you may check soupy chicken drumsticks, white lentils, black chickpeas, pasta salad, potato curry, and stir-fried green beans for low-spice recipes on this blog.
Reasons to 💖chicken masala bhuna
- Serve it as a snack or as mains.
- It will not hurt your taste buds.
- No marination.
- No roasting of spices is required.
- Only a few handy ingredients required
- Flavourful and delicious chicken without using any bold spices.
To make this slow-cooked chicken bhuna, you need the following items:
- Chicken- Boneless chicken thighs. I use boneless thighs without skin to make this chicken roast masala. Use chicken tenderloins, thighs, breasts or a combination of both, ground meat etc. Use whatever you like.
- Yogurt/curd - Use whole-fat milk yogurt. It helps to tenderize the meat.
- Ghee (clarified butter)- Add flavour and richness to the dish.
- Fenugreek dried - Being a herb, it adds flavour and depth to the chicken.
- Onion - Add taste and depth.
- Ginger- Flavour to the dish.
- Pepper - Use freshly ground black peppercorns to have the best flavour of the recipe.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to make bhuna chicken masala?
For the full recipe, check out the video below.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel to stay up to date on all my new videos!!
- To make this yummy slow-cooked chicken bhuna, wash chicken thighs and cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Chop onions and ginger as per your liking.
- In a heavy base pan, add ghee and let it melt.
- Saute onions and garlic until translucent.
- Stir-in chick thighs. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper. (image below)
- Cook the chicken by continuously stirring for 5 minutes on low heat.
- In a bowl, whisk yogurt to a smooth consistency. Add water to it and mix well.
- Add this yogurt-water mixture into the chicken slowly while continuously stirring. (image below)
- Cook the boneless chicken thighs for 8-10 minutes on low heat with continuous stirring.
- Once the chicken is cooked partially, add dried fenugreek leaves, aka Kasoori methi (crush them in your hands).
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover with a lid. Cook until the pepper-fenugreek chicken is ready to serve.
- Serve with bread/roti/paratha!!
How to serve ghee-roasted chicken?
It can be served as a main or a side as a snack. There are endless options to serve this yummy pepper and fenugreek chicken thighs:
- Naan/Indian flatbread- One of the favourite ways to serve chicken masala with bread in most Asian countries. It completes a meal.
- Rice: Steamed white rice is always a classic accompaniment to chicken masala.
- Yogurt dip: This pepper chicken dry pairs well with Cucumber raita! It is worth a try!
- Salad: Serve this masala chicken with mixed greens, tomatoes, and cucumber with lemon juice for a fresh and healthy green touch.
- Wraps: Use it as filling along with some greens, and mayo or spread in whole grain tortilla or flatbread to make a delicious wrap sandwich.
- Papadum: A type of Indian lentil-based crispy cracker, another great option to serve alongside chicken masala to give it a nice crunch.
Bhuna chicken masala is a famous spicy Asian cuisine in which chicken is slowly cooked over low heat using a blend of roasted spices. This slow cooking plays a vital role in infusing the flavour and aroma of these bold spices into the chicken.
Yes, you can use oil instead of ghee, but you will compromise the rich and versatile flavour of this chicken ghee roast recipe if you do so.
- This chicken masala dry is a low-spice recipe. Add spice as per your requirement.
- Cook this chicken on low heat only.
- Don't overroast onions and ginger. Roast them to a slightly pink.
- Whisk the yogurt into a smooth consistency before use.
- Add the yogurt-water mixture slowly into the chicken while stirring.
- Stir constantly after adding yogurt-water to the chicken until it is completely blended.
- If masala chicken sticks to the vessel, adding a small amount of water can prevent this.
- Crush dried fenugreek leaves with your hands before adding them to the pan.
Make this pepper dry chicken recipe (ghee-bhuna chicken masala) spicy or replicate the recipe. Please share your views and let me know your opinion! You can also leave a comment or share a picture on Instagram with the Hashtag #tipsnrecipes
Follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Pinterest, TikTok, Instagram or Twitter for more tips and delicious food recipes.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Ghee Bhuna Chicken Masala
- 450 g Chicken thighs (boneless)
- 2 Onions (small)
- 1 inch Ginger
- Few leaves Fenugreek leaves dried (Kasoori methi)
- 1 cup Yogurt (whole milk)
- 4 tablespoon Clarified butter (ghee)
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Water
- Wash the chicken thighs and cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Chop onions and ginger.
- Add ghee to a pan. Saute onions and ginger until translucent.
- Stir in chicken thighs, salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes until it changes to slightly whitish.
- Whisk yogurt in a bowl to a smooth consistency. Add water (¼ cup) and mix well.
- Add this yogurt-water mixture to the chicken while continuously stirring.
- Cook for 8- 10 minutes, continuously stirring on low heat.
- Add crushed dried fenugreek leaves to it. Mix well
- Cover it and cook until the chicken is ready to serve.
- Serve with bread/naan or serve it as a snack.
- Add spice as per your requirement as this chicken masala dry is a low-spice recipe.
- Cook this chicken on low heat only.
- Subscribe to my YouTube Channel to stay up to date on all my new videos!!
- Nutrition Disclaimer - Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It may vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. tipsnrecipesblog.com will not be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information under any circumstances.
- Copyright Notice © tipsnrecipesblog.com - All content, including images, is copyright protected. I appreciate it if you share these recipes via the social share buttons. Copying/or pasting full recipes to any social media/your website is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Reply