With these Low FODMAP cucumber salad boats, set sail on a journey of gastronomic delight. Whether you follow a low FODMAP diet or seek a light on-tummy treat, these juicy and crunchy salad boats offer a perfect balance of flavours and health benefits.
These delightful low FODMAP cucumber salad boats are 100% sure to take your taste buds on a refreshing adventure without causing any digestive distress as these are prepared with fresh and wholesome ingredients, like cucumber, carrot, avocado, potato and cilantro. So, you can enjoy the blissful harmony of deliciousness and gut-friendly goodness in every bite of this low FODMAP salad.
FODMAP stands for fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols. These are short-chain carbohydrates, not digested completely or absorbed into the intestine. Their presence in the intestine causes gas formation. It also attracts water, which exerts pressure on the intestinal walls to stretch and expand. People with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) are sensitive to this stretching of the intestinal wall by FODMAPs, resulting in pain and other gut discomforts. Therefore, a diet with low FODMAP comes into the picture and is a solution to these tummy troubles. Please refer to Monash FODMAP and FODMAPS 101 for more details.
This cucumber boats recipe is crunchy, juicy, refreshing, nutritious, gluten-free, and IBS-friendly salad. It is a 100% safe FODMAP salad recipe.
If you are looking for such low fodmap ideas or gut-friendly recipes, check out pasta salad with chicken, stir-fried fodmap beans, nutritious fodmap guac, and an easy strawberry smoothie for breakfast!
Reasons to 💖FODMAP cucumbers
- Vegan and gluten-free salad.
- Healthy as a low-calorie and low-carb salad recipe.
- Kid-friendly as they will love preparing them.
- Quick and easy summer salad that requires a few ingredients only.
- Anyone can enjoy this salad, including vegetarians!!
- Perfect salad for a party, as it is a fun and creative way to present these boats before the crowd!
To make these cucumbers low fodmap, you need the following ingredients:
- Mayonnaise- Low FODMAP
- I use regular low-fat mayonnaise for this recipe.
- Take care not to take mayo with onion/garlic powder or any other ingredient of high FODMAP.
- Monash recommends the serving size of 2 tablespoons (40 g) for both regular and low-fat mayonnaise is FODMAP Friendly.
- Cucumbers - Low FODMAP
- I use Lebanese cucumbers to make salad boats, as they are small and easy to assemble (approximately 125g in weight).
- I prefer them with peel as these contain most of the nutrients of cucumber in them.
- Carrot- FODMAP-free
- Carrots are FODMAP-free, so you can eat as many as you want when on a FODMAP diet.
- Cilantro- Low FODMAP
- Avocado - High FODMAP
- I use Hass avocado to make these salad cucumber boats. These have pebbly skin with smooth and buttery flesh. These are the best avocados with smoothy and buttery flesh.
- Monash University recommends ⅛th an avocado or 30 g as the serving size is low in FODMAP.
- FODMAP content present in Avocado: Fructose
- Lemon juice- Low FODMAP. Use fresh lemon if available.
- Potato- Low FODMAP
- I use a boiled and peeled potato to make these stuffed cucumber boat salads.
- Any potato goes well with these salad boats.
- Black salt is good for digestion, so I prefer it over regular salt.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to make low FODMAP cucumber salad boats?
For the full recipe, check out the video below.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel to stay up to date on all my new videos!!
These fodmap cucumber boats are one of the easiest and most delicious low fodmap salad recipes you can never go wrong with. Let us dive into the details of this fodmap salad boat recipe.
Step 1 Preparation
Wash all cucumbers, carrots and cilantro thoroughly. Chop avocado, carrot, boiled potato and carrot into small, thin sizes (image below).
Step 2 How to make cucumber boats?
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise. Scoop out the centre of each piece using a knife and a small spoon to make boats. Save this juice and scrapped cucumber.
- Combine all the ingredients with this cucumber juice.
- Spoon filling into vegetarian cucumber boats.
- Serve these delicious low-FODMAP cucumber salad boats to a surprise!!
- Add green chillies up to one serving of 28g for a spicy kick.
- Add herbs like Italian herb mix, mint, parsley, dill leaves, etc., for more refreshing flavours.
- Make use of any salad leaves that are low in FODMAP. Wash them thoroughly before use.
- Use balsamic vinegar up to 2 tablespoons for a rich zingy-tangy flavour.
- Add chicken, 2 boiled eggs per serving and bacon in not more than 2 rashers or 60g for a protein source.
- Serve these FODMAP diet cucumber salad boats as soon as you prepare them.
- To make these salad boats long-lasting, avoid using cucumber juice as it makes them soggy if you keep them for a long time.
Yes, cucumbers are low FODMAP as long as these are served under a controlled serving size. As per the FODMAP-friendly app, cucumber is safe to be included in the FODMAP diet if its serving size is not exceeding ½ cup, approximately 64 g per serving. It also states that cucumbers are high in fructose in a ¾ cup serving size, i.e. 100g. So avoid consuming it in a high amount.
FODMAP Present- Fructose
If you want to start a low FODMAP diet, please consult your doctor or a dietitian before practice. You can learn more about FODMAP here!
- If using English cucumbers, halve lengthwise and cut each half to make four pieces of one cucumber.
- I like these boats a little juicy, so all the cucumber juice while making boats.
- Do not add cucumber juice if you prefer dry boats.
- Chop all the veggies as small and thin as possible.
- Use cucumber with peel for more nutritional and health benefits.
If you try this low FODMAP cucumber salad boats recipe, please share your views and let me know your opinion! You can also leave a comment or share a picture on Instagram with the Hashtag #tipsnrecipes
Looking for other healthy recipes? Try these:
Do you know that you can now rate this recipe without leaving a comment?
Low FODMAP Cucumber Salad Boats
- 2 Cucumbers Lebanese (approx 125g each)
- 1 Carrot
- 10 g Avocado
- ½ Potato (boiled and peeled)
- 1 teaspoon Mayonnaise low fat
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Black salt
- Chop boiled potato, carrot, avocado and cilantro.
- Cut cucumbers into half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the cucumber juice and seeds into a bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Fill these cucumber boats.
- Low FODMAP cucumber boats are ready to serve!!
- You can now vote on your favourite recipes by clicking on the stars.
- The FODMAP serving size should not exceed ½ cup, approximately 64 g per serving. So, it is safe to consume one cucumber boat if you are on a FODMAP diet.
- Check tips for additional information on the cucumber boats recipe!
- Nutrition Disclaimer- Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will tipsnrecipesblog.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.
- Copyright Notice © tipsnrecipesblog.com- All content, including images, is copyright protected. I appreciate it if you could share these recipes via the social share buttons. Copying/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website is strictly prohibited.