Love lemon rice? Try this lemon rice paste, aka instant lemon rice premix, to make delicious flavourful lemon rice in just 5 minutes, anytime and anywhere! I bet you will get addicted to this easy and quick life-changing trick that saves your effort and time when in a hurry, busy, tired or travelling.
Who does not love such easy-peasy recipes? Right? Check these quick easy recipes for more inspiration!!
Lemon rice is a famous flavourful dish from the South of India. The dish is usually prepared using leftover rice to transform it into a zest-infused delicacy. The aromatic spices of South India, like mustard seeds, curry leaves, and asafoetida in this lemon spice mix create a perfect balance between flavour, colour and texture.
The lemon rice mix is prepared using oil, spices and fresh lemon juice. This lemon spice blend is full of flavour and aroma and offers a refreshing experience to the palate. It is so easy and quick to prepare at home. So, my digital friends, why should you go for store-bought when you can easily make it at home with all the ingredients already available in your pantry? The best part of this lemon rice paste recipe is its shelf life. You can store it for up to several months. Make it in large batches and use it as and when required.
Do you love such quick and easy time-saving recipes? Check this raita masala powder to give depth to your raita. My family loves sambar, and I always use Kerala sambar masala powder to make that. If you want to make your sambar as good as mine, try this spice blend for sambar. You will go for it again!!
Reasons to💖lemon rice paste
- It is a vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free recipe.
- It saves you time and effort.
- Easy to use. Neither assembling nor cooking is involved.
- All the ingredients are in one place, so be stress-free if something is not available when planning for lemon rice.
- Ideal for a quick, easy and light meal.
- This premix stays fresh for up to several months. So, you can make it in a large batch.
- The flavour of the spices in the premix improves with time as they infuse deeply into the oil and juice.
- It is a delicious and crowd-pleaser recipe that you make without any fear.
- It is convenient to carry, so it is a life-saving hack for road trips, picnics, excursions, camping etc.,
To make a lemon spice mix for lemon rice, you need the following:
- Lemons- Squeeze fresh lemons for the best exotic flavour of this lemon rice premix.
- Oil - The best oil for this recipe is sesame oil. But if it is unavailable, use your regular oil without any flavour.
- Mustard seeds - These release nutty undertones that complement the lemon rice well.
- Split chickpeas (chana dal) - These add crunch and texture to each bite.
- Peanuts - These give depth and crunch to the lemon rice.
- Red chillies - Use dried red chillies. Split into pieces and roast on low heat.
- Green chillies - A long vertical split in halves.
- Curry leaves - Heart of the recipe. Their bitterness creates a unique flavour in the spice mix.
- Asafoetida (hing) - Good for digestion.
- Salt - Regular table salt.
- Turmeric- It gives a bright yellow colour to the recipe.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to make lemon rice paste?
To make lemon rice paste or lemon rice premix follow the step-by-step instructions:
Add oil to a pan. Allow mustard seeds to pop and sizzle in hot oil. Next, splutter split chickpeas. Toss in the peanuts and fry until a bit brown. Add red broken chillies, curry leaves, green chillies, salt and turmeric. Saute them for 30 seconds.
Turn off the heat. Pour in lemon juice (image below).
Mix to combine well. Allow this lemon pepper spice mix to cool down. Once it is cooled, transfer it into a clean, dry, sterile jar (image below).
How to use Lemon rice paste?
To use lemon rice paste, you need plain rice, either steamed or boiled. Pour 1-2 tablespoons of this instant lemon spice mix over the rice. Mix well, and you are good to go!
If you use leftover rice, microwave the rice for 30 seconds to 1 minute (depending on how hot you want) before adding this spices-infused lemon juice. Combine well. Hooray! Yummy lemon rice is ready within 5 minutes!
Storage of this lemon paste for lemon rice is not a problem. You can store it for up to several months. Once it is completely cooled down, transfer it to a clean and dry jar.
- This lemon spice mix recipe requires oil in a higher quantity. Don't compromise on oil.
- Fry all the ingredients on low heat only to prevent the burning of the spices.
- Turn off the heat while adding lemon juice.
- Transfer it to a clean and dry jar.
- Always use a dry spoon to take the lemon paste.
- Mix well before use to get the uniform paste.
- Get all the ingredients handy before starting the process to avoid burning spices.
Use lemons if you have abundant sitting at your place to make this delicious and yummy lemon spice mix, which you can use anytime to give flavour to plain rice.
If you try this instant lemon rice premix recipe for lemon rice, please share your views and let me know your opinion! You can also leave a comment or share a picture on Instagram with the Hashtag #tipsnrecipes
Looking for other healthy recipes? Try these:
Do you know that you can now rate this recipe without leaving a comment?
Lemon Rice Paste
- ⅓ cup Oil (60g)
- 2 tablespoon Mustard seeds (Rai)
- 2 tablespoon Split chickpeas (chana dal)
- ⅓ cup Peanuts (60g) raw
- 7-8 Red chillies dried
- 2 teaspoon Asafoetida (Hing)
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 3-5 Green chillies
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Turmeric
- ⅓ cup Lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add chana dal and peanuts. Fry them for less than a minute.
- Stir in broken dried red chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves, green chillies, salt and turmeric. Turn off the heat.
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice. Stir well.
- Cool completely. Transfer it to a clean and dry jar.
- Pour 1-2 tablespoons over plain rice to make lemon rice instantly, whenever and wherever you want!!
- You can now vote on your favourite recipes by clicking on the stars.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of this lemon rice paste to the plain rice, and you are ready with lemon rice within 5 minutes.
- Check tips for additional information on the lemon rice paste recipe!
- Nutrition Disclaimer- Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will tipsnrecipesblog.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.
- Copyright Notice © tipsnrecipesblog.com- All content, including images, is copyright protected. I appreciate it if you could share these recipes via the social share buttons. Copying/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website is strictly prohibited.